Thursday, May 3, 2007

Michael "Big Mike" Rominger, March 2, 1959 - May 2, 2007 - In remembrance of Mike: "Keep truckin', like the doodahman..."

Michael David Rominger, known as "Big Mike", 48, a Reno handicapper and much more, died yesterday, May 2, 2007, at 1:07 pm on Prater Way in Sparks. He was riding his bike and got off his bike and collapsed and died immediately with a massive heart attack. Earlier it was reported he sent an email at 2:00 pm, but the computer date must of been bad. I went back to see his last comment on this blog. He was talking about a Johnny Cash song, Folsom Prison Blues. An anonymous poster, who we now know was Big Mike, commented at 7:57 am on the morning of his death "Johnny Cash said...That train keeps a rollin' on down to san antone..." and at 9:56 am Big Mike posted - "Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys said...that moonlit path by the alamo, and my Rose, my Rose of Saqn Antone...". He was probably doing his morning handicapping then. Later that morning he played basketball with his friend Art and Rick. It was after basketball, that he died. A passerby saw Big Mike get off his bike and collapse a little after one pm, and his mom's cell phone rang at exactly 1:07 pm from a call from Mike's cell phone. All she heard was some background noises. He had his cell phone in his backpack and it was set to speed dial to his mom's phone, she believed it went off when Big Mike fell on the ground. She had talked to him earlier that day. A service is planned for Friday, May 11, 2007 at 2 in the afternoon in the Lake View Room, Room 1747, at the Peppermill.

Big Mike's obituary as printed in the May 8, 2007 online Reno Gazette Journal: MICHAEL D. ROMINGER Michael D. Rominger, 48, of Reno, NV, passed away of natural causes on Wednesday May 2, 2007 in Sparks, NV. Michael is survived by his loving mother, one brother, two sisters and numerous cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and one dear daughter. A service will be held on Friday, May 11, at 2 p.m. Come and share stories of Big Mike with his family at the Peppermill on Friday from 2 ??

Here are those two songs Big Mike commented on yesterday:

San Antonio Rose:


SAN ANTONIO ROSE LYRICS:

Deep within my heart lies a melody
A song of old San Antone
Where in dreams I lived with a memory
Beneath the stars all alone.

It was there I found beside the Alamo
Enchantment strange as the blue up above
A moonlit pass that only she would know
Still hears my broken song of love.

Moon and all your splendor knows only my heart
Call back my Rose Rose of San Antone
Lips so sweet and tender like petals falling apart
Speak once again of my love my own.

Broken song, empty words I know
Still live in my heart all alone
For that moonlit pass beside the Alamo
And Rose my Rose of San Antone.

--- Instrumental ---

Broken song, empty words I know
Still live in my heart all alone
For that moonlit pass beside the Alamo
And Rose my Rose of San Antone...

Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash:


FOLSOM PRISON BLUES LYRICS:

I hear that train a-commin', it's rollin' around the bend
And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when
I'm stuck in Folsom prison and time keeps draggin' on
But that train keeps a-rollin' on down to San Antone
When I was just a baby, my mama told me, son
Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns
But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die
When I hear that whistle blowin', I hang my head and cry

I bet there's rich folks eatin' in a fancy dining car
They're probably drinking coffee and smoking big cigars
But I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free
But those people keep a-movin' and that's what tortures me

Well if that freed me from this prison
and that railroad train was mine
I bet I'd move it on a little farther down the line
Far from Folsom prison, that's where I want to stay
And I'd let that lonesome whistle blow my blues away

-----------

10 Dimes = 2% of the bankroll
Todays beginning bankroll = $7,946.03
10 Dimes = $159

Morning Bets:
30 Dimes - Warriors +2.5 at home against the Mavs = Bet $477, Won $433.65
10 Dimes - Twins -110 (Ortiz listed) visiting the Devil Rays = Bet $159, Lost $159
5 Dimes - Mets -140 (Glavine, Owings listed) visiting the Diamondbacks = Bet $80, Won $57.15

Net Gain or Loss on the Day = Won $331.80
New Balance = $8,277.83
10 Dimes = $166

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick,sorry for the loss of your friend.Jim

Blogger said...

Jim:

Thanks Jim, was so unexpected. Big Mike was well known around the Peppermill in Reno. Another friend just confirmed to me Big Mike made anonymous comments on my blog. So weird he was on here yesterday morning, even making comments and is now dead this morning. He was only in his late forties. Live every day to the fullest.

Stratusfying_one said...

Well I posted on the wrong comments lol! But anyways I just wanted to say Mike was a great guy and im still blown away after just talking to him and playing ball with him and Art! We were going to have a BBQ later that night with another good friend Kurt! I was stunned he had a Heart attack! He did make it home because I got an email from him at 2pm just after basketball and yesterday I good friend of mine who is a cop fillied me in on what happend! Mike called for help but when they got there it was to late! As I said in my other comment Mike was a great guy and a real friend! He was much more then just a good sports better! He will be missed but never foregotten! Mike thanks for just being you and whever you are up there drink one for me and the Rick and Rick club! We will miss you buddy!

Blogger said...

Thanks Rick for filling in the facts on the sudden death of Big Mike. I updated the blog. See you in the Mill later buddy.

Blogger said...

stratusfying_one:

I found your original comment. Let me repost it here:

Well as my good friend has said Big Mike has left us and well he left this this world a better place for not only picking winners but as a good friend!I played ball with him Wed and we talked after we were done joking about the Lakers getting beat up to having a BBQ later that night! I told him after the game I would be there and we would drink it up and have fun and like we do most of the time make a little money as well lol! I was stunned when I found out before my softball game later that night that he passed on! I was in shock and still am because I just played ball with him and talked to him! Mike was a great guy and will be missed! I send my best wishes to hes family and all of hes true friends! I look forward to getting together with all of hes friends and sharing good times we had with Mike! In closing we all love to bet and win and for most of us we do it well but remember to enjoy it because you just never know when its going to end! Life is so short so enjoy it my friends and Mike wherever you are thanks for your great pics and most of all thanks for your friendship and just for being you! You will be missed my brother and you wont be forgotten!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick - Do you know about Friday at 2 at the Peppermill? His family would love to have all of his friends come and share stories of Big Mike. His mom, sisters and brother will be there. Hope you can make it and please tell his other buddies. We will be at his apt. on Thurs.

Blogger said...

Monica:

Did not know about the Peppermill get togethor for Mike at 2 on Friday. I will get the word out, lots of people want to celebrate Mike's life. I will go over to Mike's place on Thursday to see you. So sorry about Mike's passing, he was too young and it was all so sudden.
God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Did you know Mike helped build a rocket for carrying satellites into low earth orbit? He was just a kid back then and we called him "Mikey" although yes, he was big back then as well.

Mike, your Starstruck friends will always remember and cherish those amazing times we shared. Please take good care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Rick - Thanks for all your help getting the word out about Friday's gathering at the Peppermill. It really helped us to have so many of Mike's friends come together and spend a moment honoring him. We appreciate all you did to make the memorial special. Also, I remember when Mike worked at Starstruck and enjoyed reading the anonymous posting. So thank you also for keeping this blog updated. My Mom says thanks, too. She is sorry she didn't get a chance to hug you goodbye.

Paul said...

I worked with Mike many years ago at a company called "Starstruck" in the S.F. Bay area. He was kind of quiet, unassuming, a friend to everyone, a good guy. He left this world too soon. Good bye, Mike.